Wednesday, May 23, 2012

of goodbyes, bookmarks, a d-drive and untimely tears

this monday was my last day at work in my now previous organization. the incredible amount of work made sure, the day-long nostalgia was skipped, so was the oh-my-goodness-i-can't-believe-i-am-going/ oh-remember-the-nights-out-for-that-campaign conversations. which was, i think both good and bad. there were no all-engulfing emotions, it was just another day. nothing that i will think about, misty eyed. but i'll sure miss the place. i will miss the spectacular view from one of our office corners. the view of the lake and at night, the gorgeous lights around it. the lunch place, the particular chair that i would often sit on. the door to the conference room, the one in which i always entered fifteen minutes late. i will miss my colleagues. the constant banter. the really creative nicknames that we have had (hush, hush).

and while i was still working and chasing a deadline, goodbyes and good-lucks were being said, all of a sudden, the thought that my files and folders in my d-drive won't be mine anymore hit me. i looked at the bookmarks [collected over the years], links that i consider a true treasure trove. and i was suddenly very, very sad. i was feeling sick. tears were involved. out of nowhere there were ample D-drive-triggered tears. hey there psychoanalyst so what do these D-drive-triggered tears say about me and my emotions or the lack of it?

yes, bookmarks made me cry. so did yellow folders in my d-drive. they are like yellow rooms, don't you think? get inside, and you will find some are clumsy, while some all neat and structured. some unopened for months. and some empty.




4 comments:

  1. I feel ya. I get into depression every time I leave a company (there has been quite a few). Does that make me a masochist?
    But, good luck with your new job....exciting times ahead, am sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yeah, and most importantly it's a whole new city! phew!

      Delete
    2. Aww it's always sad when a part of our life comes to an end. Best of luck with your new endeavors. When I left my last job, I was so ready to leave but at the same time I couldn't help but feel sad on my last day! Cheers to an even better future, Ritika :)!

      Delete
    3. hey thanks khushboo, honestly even i was ready to leave, but guess the whole comfort of usualness is hard to leave. but change we must, and change before we have to. so yeah, goodbyes are needed.

      Delete